Re: Info on some security holes reported against SCO Unixware.

From: Brock Tellier (btellierat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 09:27:07 PST

    Aaron Sigel <aaronsat_private> wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Recent Bugtraq posts have exposed security holes with a couple
    > packages distributed with SCO's Skunkware CD.  These packages
    > are:
    >         majordomo (wrapper, resend)
    >         orion (pis, mkpis)
    >
    > These issues are security holes in the distributed versions of these
    > packages, and are not SCO security holes.

    No, I was doing a UnixWare audit, which, as far as I know, does not include
    the Skunkware CD.  Even if it does, I'm sure I didn't install it on top of the
    normal UW CD install.  If these applications are from the Skunkware distro and
    were merely included on the UW installation CD's, the user is never notified
    that they are installing "unsupported", possibly insecure software.  From an
    end-user perspective, it doesn't make any difference that these programs are
    insecure but not written by SCO.

    Brock Tellier
    UNIX Systems Administrator
    Chicago, IL, USA