Re: Security Issues with HIGHSPEEDWEB.NET leased servers

From: Pedro Hugo (fractalgat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 15:35:33 PST

    We at High Speed Hosting consider the post by one Brian Mueller, to
    BUGTRAQ , at best to be irresponsible and at worst , downright
    dangerous to our network and the thousands of business clients
    connected to it .
    Since we use bugtraq regularly , and realize its charter and purpose
    is an informational exchange and not a “complaint box” , we will not
    go any further into the personal side of this post.  Instead , here is
    a direct reply to any security value that might or might not have been
    derived from that post:
    First , in response to the statement that Our Security Policy allows
    open telnet access to our servers. This is a complete mis-statement
    obviously by one who has no idea what he is doing with the
    “administration” of his dedicated server.  High Speed Hosting turns
    over all dedicated server leases with telnet and daemons denied using
    TCPWrappers .  The specific line in hosts.deny is ALL:ALL .
    We then urge the customer connected to our network , who has full root
    access to his server , and thus  , has full control , to ONLY allow
    specific ports that are needed and only by specific IP address . In
    fact we urge them to use ONLY a dedicated ip and not open even to a
    class c ie:  xxx.xxx.xxx.*
    Upon investigating this post we logged on to the dedicated server in
    question and noticed the customer himself had removed the ALL:ALL in
    the hosts.deny file and thus had opened the server to anyone wanting
    to acess it. We consider this a severe risk and unacceptable and we
    can't be held responsible for that.

    In regards to the second portion of the post which complained of a
    problem with our Control Panel system’s email management features ,
    High Speed Hosting Security Administrators , aware of the possibility
    that another customer hosted on the same server could if he wanted ,
    divert email from another customer , immediately began a totally new
    Webcontrol [tm]  System which uses a very different email system ,
    including the use of qmail instead of sendmail.
    This new WebControl  installation/upgrade began 17 days ago and is
    progressing nicely and will soon include all Virtual Hosting servers
    and Leased Dedicated NetROCK [tm] servers.

    One should look before he leaps.

    Mr P. Hugo
    Director of Security
    Genesis II Networks