Re: Quick remedy for stream.c

From: Frasnelli, Dan (dfrasnelat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 11:52:42 PST

    Planned to reserve my comments until after the code went public, but
    since everyone is discussing it now....

    > A quick bull session on the FreeBSD Security list has produced a workaround
    > that works on all of the BSDs and in fact anything that runs IPFilter. I
    > asked Darren Reed, author of IPFilter (which now comes with all of the BSDs)
    > if it's possible to block the attack using his firewall code, and he says
    > it is. Darren writes that the rules are as follows:

    The only fix you should need with a FreeBSD 3.x (and 4.x?) system
    is the option "ICMP_BANDLIM" in your config file.  In my tests
    against a target on the same switch running 3.4RC (-stable), this
    option proved effective.  Granted you fill up the message buffer as the
    system responds, but that's a minor effect.  Tested BSD/OS 4.0.1,
    Solaris 2.6/sparc and Linux 2.2.14 (homebrew distr); none were using
    filter nor firewall packages, none were affected negatively.
    Not to imply stream.c does not affect _some_ configuration
    (ie. out-of-box) of the tested operating systems... just that I was
    unable to duplicate the supposed DoS.

    > He's tested these rules on a Solaris 7 system and they seem to defeat
    > the DoS.

    Has anyone actually tested this against Solaris, or is it just assumed
    to be vulnerable? I hammered a Solaris 2.6/sparc box (SS20, pl 105181-05)
    over a 100Mb crossover for a solid 15 minutes without noticable effect to
    established or newly-established sessions.  Verified the packets were
    being sent from both the attack and target ends - at the specified rate.

    I wonder if we're working with the same 'stream.c' ;-)

    Regards,
    --
    Dan Frasnelli
    Security analyst