Re: Vulnerabilities in Checkpoint FW-1 version 3.x and maybe 4.x

From: Scott, Richard (Richard.Scottat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 13:43:48 PST

    	Root>
    	There are two vulnerabilities in FW-1.  The first is an
    authentication
    	issue, the other  is a configuration issue.  Since I don't have a
    copy
    	of 4.x FW-1 handy maybe someone can check it for me.

    	The basic authentication used in Checkpoint FW-1 used for
    	inside/outbound and outside/inbound allows unlimited attempts to
    	authenticate without a timeout or disconnect between unsuccessful
    	attempts.  To make matters worse, the attempt at authentication will
    let
    	you know if you have the wrong username before you are allowed to
    enter
    	in the passsword.

    	The exploit is trivial, grind away at user names until you hit one
    that
    	works and then grind away at passwords with the username you just
    found
    	until you find one that works.

    	For an example of this, set authentication on the FW-1 software to
    	authenticate telnet connections.  Telent to a destination past the
    	firewall, when prompted for a username, pound away.  A script could
    	crack the authentication in a very short time.

    	The workaround is to use Checkpoint's encrypted authentication
    program
    	"SecuRemote" and not allow clear text authentication (browser based,
    	telnet, etc.) to destinations beyond the firewall.

    	Surely this work around doesn't work.  Unless I am mistaken, it
    matters not whether you use the encrypted method or not.  The problem is the
    authentication can be brute force until the cows come home.  Using
    encryption isn't the key, logging failed attempts and account closure would
    be better, along with not hinting at usernames too!
    	Whether the authentication method does this anti brute force check I
    as yet do not know.

    	Cheers
    	r.

    Richard Scott
    BestBuy.Com
    * Best Buy World Headquarters
    7075 Flying Cloud Drive
    Eden Prairie, MN 55344 USA

    The views expressed in this email do not represent Best Buy
    	or any of its subsidiaries.