Re: Vulnerabilities in Checkpoint FW-1 version 3.x and maybe 4.x

From: Vanja Hrustic (vanjaat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 02:33:24 PST

    root wrote:
    > The workaround is to use Checkpoint's encrypted authentication program
    > "SecuRemote" and not allow clear text authentication (browser based,
    > telnet, etc.) to destinations beyond the firewall.

    But you can still authenticate to the firewall, using SecuRemote - and
    have unlimited number of tries. FW-1 will let you know if username
    exists or not. It was tested with V4.0.

    > The default configuration in FW-1 allows for rlogin management of the
    > server.  The rlogin prompt is avaialable on all NICs.  Unless a rule is
    > placed in your ruleset to drop or reject all connections to the
    > firewall, the authentication problem above can be used to remotely
    > administer someone elses firewall without them knowing.

    To be honest, I don't think there is a 'default' configuration of
    Firewall-1. I am not a FW-1 reseller, and I can not say if there are any
    'procedures' that resellers are supposed to follow, but so far I've seen
    few completely different setups of FW-1 (on Solaris). One machine was
    completely 'stripped down', another one had few rpc services running
    while some other one had absolutelly *everything* running. From the
    outside, you can't do anything, so it's not such big deal, but once you
    manage to get in internal network - it is piece of cake to 'own' a
    Firewall-1 box. Not because of Firewall-1 vulnerabilities, but because
    of Solaris bugs and bad firewall rules (admin not barring access to fw
    from internal network). I don't think it is a Firewall-1 problem (the
    problem #2); it's more of a sysadmin problem

    Very good document about stripping Solaris can be found at:

    http://www2.checkpoint.com/~joe/strip-sunserver.txt

    You can find some other interesting documents there as well.

    http://www2.checkpoint.com/~joe/

    --

    Vanja Hrustic
    SAFER Editor

    SAFER - free monthly security newsletter