NIS security advisory : password method downgrade

From: Stefan Laudat (stefanat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 15:15:07 PST

    		Hello all,

    	I've seen that some of you noticed a lot of features about
    programs that downgrade the encryption method of the passwords from
    MD5 to DES and that should be a shame to distribution packagers.
    	The dish of the day is the Yellow Pages/NIS (NYS?) suite
    shipped with the pristine RedHat 6.1. After a standard blank installation
    the rpc.yppasswd (when used via ypasswd by  domain lusers from all over the
    place) shamelessly uses the old (deprecated?) 8-character-limited des
    password encryption, butt-slapping the idea of site security and
    raising from their graves old pwcracks and John the Rippers that
    could easily bruteforce into your password files. Thus your new shiny md5
    crypted shadow is gone, and the 8-chars passwords are back.
    	I've tested this only with RedHat 6.1 but some of you may have
    the opportunity to test it with other new Linux distributions and
    if it works please announce.
    	To Aleph1: do not ask for a patch as in previous bounced messages,
    i do not intend to take part or envolve in the YP developement team as
    neither in the ssh team. As a full end-user I do not care about them.
    	To everyone: protect your NIS ports as required in the
    ypserv config files.
    	To NYS team: please provide patches for this, I love NIS, and
    do not make SuSE a RedHat clone (as it is), they both suck.
    	To kiddies: just press delete and move along next post, you are
    too dumb to run a password cracker.

    still unemployed,
    --

    Stefan Laudat
    Data Networks Analyst

    HELP!!!! I'm being held prisoner in /usr/games/lib!