Re: NIS security advisory : password method downgrade

From: Darren Moffat - Solaris Sustaining Engineering (darren.moffatat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 03:40:03 PST

    >	The dish of the day is the Yellow Pages/NIS (NYS?) suite
    >shipped with the pristine RedHat 6.1. After a standard blank installation
    >the rpc.yppasswd (when used via ypasswd by  domain lusers from all over the
    >place) shamelessly uses the old (deprecated?) 8-character-limited des

    This is required to make it NIS(YP) otherwise it won't be able to
    interoperate with other systems running NIS.  The md5 and other
    alternate passwords are Linux/BSD extensions to the password table/map
    that are not available in a lot of other UNIX systems.  Handing out md5
    encrypted passwords means that is no longer NIS(YP) but some Linux
    extension - if a commercial vendor did this lots of people would
    complain about proprietary incompatible extensions to an open protocol.

    It would be much better to run NIS+ or LDAP as your naming service if
    you are concerned about people running password crackers over your
    passwd table/map.  NIS+ and LDAP allow you to control which users can
    actually see the encrypted password when a getpw*() call is made.  This
    can be done because they have the concept of row & column permissions
    much like a standard UNIX filesystem.

    NIS has several other fundamental security short comings that have been
    solved in NIS+ and other more modern naming services.  If you are
    concerned about security of your naming service you really shouldn't be
    using NIS at all.

    >place) shamelessly uses the old (deprecated?) 8-character-limited des
    >password encryption, butt-slapping the idea of site security and
    >raising from their graves old pwcracks and John the Rippers that
    >could easily bruteforce into your password files. Thus your new shiny
    md5 >crypted shadow is gone, and the 8-chars passwords are back.

    Secondly the encryption algorithm used in traditional UNIX passwords is
    not itself limited to 8-chars.  Traditionally passwords in UNIX were
    limited to 8-chars because login and friends called getpass() which is
    defined to return a string of 8-chars + null.  Now Solaris, Linux and
    possibly others use PAM and the PAM conversation functions tend to call
    getpassphrase() or other functions (possibly GUIs) that make the new
    limit 256-chars.

    In summary I suggest that the Linux ypserv/rpc.yppasswd is not changed
    to do this by default and it if it changed then it is made clear to
    the admin when it is setup that enabling such a feature means they are
    nolonger running traditional NIS(YP) and interoperability with other
    systems will probably be broken and this is because they have enabled
    this non standard extension.

    --
    Darren J Moffat