Re: explanation and code for stream.c issues

From: Don Lewis (Don.Lewisat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 04:03:19 PST

    On Jan 22,  2:14pm, Vladimir Dubrovin wrote:
    } Subject: Re[4]: explanation and code for stream.c issues
    } Hello Don Lewis,
    }
    } 22.01.00 13:58, you wrote: explanation and code for stream.c issues;
    }
    } D> } Intruder sends SYN packet and then sends, lets say 1000 ACK packets to
    } D> } the  same port from same port and source address. SYN packet will open
    } D> } ipfilter  to  pass  all  others  packets.  This  attack  doesn't  need
    } D> } randomization for each packet.
    }
    } D> Instead of producing RST responses, this will produce ACKs. Your earlier
    } D> comment about this prompted my comment in another thread about the
    } D> possible need to rate limit ACK packets.
    }
    } This  will  not  produce  ACK packets, if ACK send by intruder doesn't
    } conform  sequence  number  in the SYN/ACK response of victim. Original
    } stream.c used

      [snip]

    } But  it's  not  principial  - victim will reply RST for this packet in
    } most cases.

    Ok, you are correct.  The attacker would have to guess or sniff the
    initial sequence number in order to produce a flood of ACK responses,
    so the stack is in better shape than I feared.

    I'm getting too tired to really analyze this, but I also think that
    repeatedly sending the original SYN (sorry for the pun) won't cause
    a flood of responses.  I think the victim will periodically resend the
    SYN+ACK packet for which it expects an ACK.