Re: Solaris 7 and solaris 8 file permissions

From: Casper Dik (casperat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 01:06:57 PST

    >pa:/var/adm$ ls -ld spellhist
    >-rw-rw-rw-   1 bin      bin            0 Dec 15 07:28 spellhist

    The purpose of the spellhist file is to record all mispellings by all
    users.  This file is supposed to be worldwritable.

    "chmod 644 /var/adm/spellhist" will cause this:

     spell
    tee: /var/adm/spellhist: Permission denied

    Of course, this feature of spell is highly questionable ($HOME/.spellhist)
    would appear to be more reasonable.

    >pa:/var/adm$ ls -ld vold.log
    >-rw-rw-rw-   1 root     root        3063 Jan 22 00:48 vold.log

    The default umask of 0 causes this; in Solaris 8 the default umask is 022.

    >There are dangerous write permissions on logging files in Solaris 7 and
    >Solaris 8.  In Solaris 8, the issue with vold.log has been
    >corrected.  The spellhist file, however, still uses the same permissions as
    >Solaris 7 did.  Granted this issue wont result in a root
    >compromise it does allow for users to fill up the /var partition without
    >having root access.
    >
    >(Yes, I know /var/tmp exists and would allow for the same thing.)
    >
    >Solution:
    >
    >Have SUN distributed Solaris 8 with the permissions fixed on the spellhist
    >file or rely on the administrators of the systems to fix the permissions
    >themselves.

    Since /var/tmp, /var/mail and other files are writable in /var, it's always
    possible to overflow /var.  (Atjobs probably have no size limit either).

    Casper