Solaris 7 and solaris 8 file permissions

From: Steve Dispensa (dispensaat_private)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 11:52:21 PST

    Problem:

    SOLARIS 7:

    pa:/var/adm$ ls -ld spellhist
    -rw-rw-rw-   1 bin      bin            0 Dec 15 07:28 spellhist
    pa:/var/adm$ ls -ld vold.log
    -rw-rw-rw-   1 root     root        3063 Jan 22 00:48 vold.log
    pa:/var/adm$ uname -a
    SunOS pa.hick.org 5.7 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5
    pa:/var/adm$ echo "Hmmm, neat, that's nice of SUN to let me write to these
    files in /var/adm." >> spellhist
    pa:/var/adm$ echo "Let's get rid of the vold.log, shall we?" > vold.log
    pa:/var/adm$ cat spellhist
    Hmmm, neat, that's nice of SUN to let me write to these files in /var/adm.
    pa:/var/adm$ cat vold.log
    Let's get rid of the vold.log, shall we?
    pa:/var/adm$ id
    uid=100(mmiller) gid=10(staff)
    pa:/var/adm$

    SOLARIS 8:

    viper:/var/adm$ ls -ld spellhist
    -rw-rw-rw-   1 root     bin            0 Jan 12 16:38 spellhist
    viper:/var/adm$ id
    uid=1003(mmiller) gid=10(staff)
    viper:/var/adm$ uname -a
    SunOS viper 5.8 Beta_Refresh i86pc i386 i86pc
    viper:/var/adm$

    There are dangerous write permissions on logging files in Solaris 7 and
    Solaris 8.  In Solaris 8, the issue with vold.log has been
    corrected.  The spellhist file, however, still uses the same permissions as
    Solaris 7 did.  Granted this issue wont result in a root
    compromise it does allow for users to fill up the /var partition without
    having root access.

    (Yes, I know /var/tmp exists and would allow for the same thing.)

    Solution:

    Have SUN distributed Solaris 8 with the permissions fixed on the spellhist
    file or rely on the administrators of the systems to fix the permissions
    themselves.

    Matt Miller
    Afro Productions Cherry Blue Team
    mmillerat_private