Re: usual iploggers miss some variable stealth scans

From: Theo de Raadt (deraadtat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2000 - 22:19:49 PST

    As an aside to this discussion...

    > Also it's possible to use the ID field of the IP protocol to check if
    > some host are Win*, OpenBSD > 2.5 or Other using a few of often not logged
    > packets. the Win* ID has different byte ordering, OpenBSD is truly-random
    > and others incremental.

    OpenBSD does not use a truly random sequence for this.  The generator
    used produces a non-repeating pseudo-random sequence. It will not
    repeat the same number too close to when it was previously used.

    We have reused the generator that we use for generating DNS packet
    IDs.

    Obviously, using a completely random sequence has problems.  For
    instance, the following sequence _could_ be generated by a
    truly-random number generator:

    	1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 98 7234

    If the generator were to create such a sequence, and they were used as
    IP ID values on a succession of packets, it could wreak havoc on
    fragment reassembly at the destination.