Re: Solaris 7 and solaris 8 file permissions

From: Darren Moffat - Solaris Sustaining Engineering (darren.moffatat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 03:39:43 PST

    >corrected.  The spellhist file, however, still uses the same permissions as
    >Solaris 7 did.  Granted this issue wont result in a root
    >compromise it does allow for users to fill up the /var partition without
    >having root access.

    The 666 permissions are required for spell to work as designed and
    removing the world write permissions to the file will break spell:

    $ spell
    tee: /var/adm/spellhist: Permission denied

    See the files/notes section of spell(1).

    FILES
        H_SPELL=/var/adm/spellhist
               history file

    NOTES
         Misspelled words can be monitored by default by setting  the
         H_SPELL  variable  in  /usr/bin/spell  to the name of a file
         that has permission mode 666.

    Now given that /usr/bin/spell is a ksh script if you don't want this
    feature then change the following line to have /dev/null instead of
    /var/adm/spellhist.  Users can then set H_SPELL themselves if they
    want their own spellhist file.

    H_SPELL=${H_SPELL:-/var/adm/spellhist}

    >(Yes, I know /var/tmp exists and would allow for the same thing.)

    That and a whole list of others including

    /var/mail
    /var/preserve
    /var/spool/uucppublic

    Running atjobs.