Re: S/Key & OPIE Database Vulnerability

From: Steve VanDevender (stevevat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 11:29:22 PST

    Mudge writes:
     > Just as an FYI - MONkey, the S/Key cracker and a white paper talking about
     > the problems with having the skeykeys file readable was released by the
     > L0pht in May of 1996.
     >
     > The tool allows one to not only use the skeykeys file as entry to the
     > crypt and compare but also the network response due to too much server
     > side information being present.
     >
     > The tool and paper are still available
     > at: http://www.l0pht.com/advisories/skey_paper_and_tool

    It doesn't surprise me that S/Key cracking software has existed for a
    while, and I certainly did not mean to imply that S/Key is immune to
    dictionary attacks on user secrets.

    My point was that the skeykeys/opiekeys file does not contain any
    information that has not already been exposed on the network, so making
    those files unreadable is not truly hiding the information they contain;
    at best it only keeping attackers away from a convenient central
    repository of previously exposed information.

    There are also other ways to attack S/Key secrets.  Users of S/Key may
    keep their secrets in a laptop or palmtop in easily readable form.  If
    the user keeps the secret in his head, then it's possible to
    "shoulder-surf" the secret as it's typed in.  Some users of S/Key may
    also print out and carry lists of precomputed challenge responses if
    they don't have a portable response calculator.  Users who are
    particularly weak on S/Key concepts may actually use one remote system
    to compute S/Key responses for another and expose their secret in the
    process, or keep their S/Key secret on the same system that they use
    S/Key authentication on.