Re: majordomo 1.94.5 does not fix all vulnerabilities

From: Martin Mares (mjat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 13:52:19 PST

    Hello!

    > If you think about it, this makes daemon and majordomo accounts
    > interchangeable. If I break daemon, I can become majordomo because of
    > all the holes in it. If I can become majordomo, I can also become
    > daemon--I just have to replace the wrapper program with my own binary
    > (the majordomo directory is owned by majordomo in the default install).

       Another possibility is to drop `wrapper' and use a mail queue management
    daemon with a simple setuid utility for inserting new mail to the queue.
    See ftp://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/pub/local/mj/net/usher-1.0.tar.gz
    for details.

    				Have a nice fortnight
    --
    Martin `MJ' Mares   <mjat_private>   http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
    "Anyone can build a fast CPU. The trick is to build a fast system." -- S. Cray