Re: S/Key & OPIE Database Vulnerability

From: Eivind Eklund (eivindat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 03:23:10 PST

    On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 09:40:35AM -0500, Brandon Palmer wrote:
    > > Ultimately I wonder how much of a future S/Key has now that SSH and
    > > similar utilities are widely deployed and provide much more
    > > sophisticated protections, especially session encryption.
    >
    > I think there is definatly still a need.  There are many cases in which I
    > am not on a machine what has ssh (ie some public telnet shell).  Though
    > the session is not encrypted,  my password is still safe.  Until ssh-java
    > shells are common,  s/key still has it's place.

    This indicates a rather common misconception.  SSH-Java shells should
    NOT make a public terminal trusted for your password; the TERMINAL is
    insecure, and is rather likely to be running a keystroke logger.  SSH
    only makes the connection from the box it runs on to the box in the
    other end secure.

    Eivind.