Re: Bypass Virus Checking

From: Eric D. Williams (ericat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 20:12:19 PST

    Another stab with a little more clarity ---

    Hello all,

    On a related topic.  Would it not be possible to use a similar exploit
    technique, specifically concerning NAI's fine products, to establish a bogus
    pagefile.sys.

    For Example:
    Search the system for valid HD drives: C: D: E:, etc. not removable and RW
    use a (little better, maybe I'll post some code) paging a little at a time to
    disk and decoding... to a drive without a pagefile.sys
    Now all that is left to do is to get the system to read the code, yes? Not to
    difficult considering the constant reads done to paging files.  Maybe you could
    even race the thing into memory??? I believe pagefile.sys and windows.swap
    files are excluded by default, and AFAIK Windows NT does not 'scan' the drive
    or establish a new pagefile, that is at boot time all done by (previous)
    registry configuration.  Just a thought.

    The InfoBro

    Eric Williams, Pres.
    Information Brokers, Inc.
    http://www.infobro.com/