Re: Tempfile vulnerabilities

From: Marc Lehmann (marcat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 15:27:43 PST

    > > /dev/random -- a world readable device -- should do the following:
    > >
    > > 	cat /dev/random > /dev/null &
    > >
    > > Crypto software which uses those devices should be doing some kind of
    > > checking to make sure that they are getting at least good entropy.  I

    On linux at least, the above is at most a denial of service attack, as
    /dev/random does not deliver any data when it runs out of entropy (and
    programs usually are prepared to wait for data on that devices for some
    time).

    On linux/x86, moving my mouse generates >400bytes/s random data (this is
    currently specific to x86), and if two processes listen on /dev/random,
    both get about half the random data, so it seems that there isn't even a
    denial of service attack here.

          --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcgat_private |e|