Re: recent 'cross site scripting' CERT advisory

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olssonat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 23:29:11 PST

    Taneli Huuskonen wrote:

    > Now, if trusted.com's
    > webserver refused to serve anything else but the index page unless the
    > Referer: field contained a trusted.com URL, this attack would be foiled.
    >
    > Now, is there a way to trick a browser into lying about the referrer?

    According to
    http://www.securiteam.com/securitynews/DHTML_makes_HTTP_REFERER_an_unreliable_sanity_check.html

    it is possible for DHTML to lie about the referer.

    (I believe this was originally a post here on Bugtraq, but I might
    be wrong; could be some other mailing list I'm on too..)

    /Mike

    --
    Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, S-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
    Phone: +46 (0)660 105 50           Fax: +46 (0)660 122 50