Re: recent 'cross site scripting' CERT advisory

From: Gregory Steuck (gregat_private)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 23:52:07 PST

        Henri> But if it is done right (i.e.: you're explicitely specifying
        Henri> which files don't need a REFERRER check, rather than trying
        Henri> to keep a list of every script that needs it), I believe it
        Henri> can provide instant CSS protection without having to audit
        Henri> all these server scripts right away.

    While we are at it, let's not forget that Referer is a privacy breach on
    it own. And those who use junkbuster never send referer headers.  So be
    careful when recommending referer as a remedy, it might hit security
    conscious types.

    Bye
    Greg

    P.S. Yeah, one can configure junkbuster to send referer header to certain
    sites but it's a hassle.