Re: 'cross site scripting' CERT advisory and MS

From: Marc Slemko (marcsat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 15:39:02 PST

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, David LeBlanc wrote:

    > After a bit of dinking in vi, I removed the HTML, AND got it properly
    > indented for response, so...

    > >Using something like Outlook Express is very dangerous, since it
    > >means that you can be exploited if an email message arrives in your
    > >inbox and is displayed.
    >
    > This is overkill.  The problem is scripting, not HTML, which are really
    > seperate issues.

    NO!  NO!  NO!

    I don't know how many times I have to say this: the problem is not just
    with scripting languages.  Baming them there silly scripting languages is
    missing the whole point.

    Yes, most exploits would probably use scripting.  But that is simply
    because scripting languages offer fairly complete control over a browser.
    A lot of that control can be obtained just by injecting HTML or making
    requests.

    For example, suppose that a server sets a cookie that it then users later
    to display information to the client.  Say you can store the javascript
    within this cookie.  Then simply having you make a single request to the
    server with the right URL could result in it setting a cookie that will
    stick around when you come back later.  I have seen an example of this
    (not sending it via email though) on a real, fairly major web page and it
    is pretty convincing.  Even when you close your browser, if the cookie
    sticks around (as it normally would), then going back to the site
    "normally" later will still give you altered content.

    Yes, for this example you can disable cookies when reading mail, and
    should anyway for other reasons.  But what other ways are there to do
    things?  I don't know.  I do know that things are complex enough that I'm
    quite unwilling to say that disabling cookies and scripts will leave you
    "safe".  While obviously following a link from an email, clicking on a
    button, doing anything on a site that appears (ie. that the URL is
    correct) to be a real site can be dangerous, that is a different issue.

    Also note that if there is any way to get Outlook Express to open a new IE
    window with a document in automatically when it loads an email, then you
    would be vulnerable if you only disabled scripting, etc. for mail and not
    for "normal" web access.  Is there a way to do this?  I don't know of any.
    But again, things are complex enough that I'm quite unwilling to say there
    is no way to do it.

    So while disabling all the "features" that you can when reading HTML mail
    is definitely recommended and protects you against a lot of attacks, it is
    not a complete solution.  I seriously doubt that all the ways of
    exploiting this issue without using scripting languages have been
    discovered.

    Not that I have seen anyone publicly posting exploits that do things in
    any of these ways (or any other way...), which I find odd, since there are
    lots of vulnerable sites out there, and some vulnerabilities that are
    pretty serious.