Re: DDOS Attack Mitigation

From: Alan Brown (alanat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 10:13:20 PST

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Darren Reed wrote:

    > You know if anyone was of a mind to find someone at fault over this,
    > I'd start pointing the finger at ISP's who haven't been doing this
    > due to "performance reasons".

    To be fair, if you do this on most terminal servers (eg, Cisco 5300, Max
    4000), they will collapse under the load.

    >  They've had the ability to do it for
    > years and in doing so would seriously reduce the number and possibility
    > of "spoofing" attacks.

    See above. Having enough CPU available to handle spoof filtering from
    dialups adds a lot to costs and most ISPs simply can't afford to pay
    more in order to be able to provide that benefit. :-(

    AB