Re: FireWall-1 FTP Server Vulnerability

From: Alexandru Popa (razorat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 12:09:35 PST

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2000 Lars.Troenat_private wrote:

> [...]
    [snip]
    > - For those using stateful inspection of passive FTP, the following
    > patch
    > has been supplied.
    >
    > Patch:
    > The patch consists of a new $FWDIR/lib/base.def file that includes a fix
    > the problem (the file is compatible with Firewall-1 4.0 SP-5, other
    > platforms will be released as soon as possible). The fix involves an
    > enforcement on the existence of the newline character at the end of each
    > packet on the FTP control connection, this will close off the described
    > vulnerability.
    [snip]

    This would work fine, except that, provided someone could create a
    directory named (C-syntax) "mtu-padding\r\n227 evil message\r\n" AND
    change to that dir, a "PWD" would probably happily spit out the message,
    in a very correct form.

    Disclaimer: I am no FTP protocol expert, so the dir-making and
    CWD-ing above might not work.  This might also not work if the server
    quotes its output properly.

    Alex Popa,  |There never was a good war or a bad peace
    razorat_private|                   -- B. Franklin
    "It took the computing power of three C-64s to fly to the Moon.
    It takes a 486 to run Windows 95. Something is wrong here."