patching IE (Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS00-009))

From: John Robert LoVerso (johnat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 07:49:09 PST

    > Subject: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS00-009)
    > Patch Available for "Image Source Redirect" Vulnerability
    > Originally Posted: February 16, 2000

    Given the large number of JavaScript-related security issues regarding the
    various versions of IE (4.0, 4.01, 4.01 SP1, 4.01 SP2, 5.0, 5.01), I'm
    surprised that no one has mentioned the fact that Microsoft has made it nearly
    impossible to secure IE.  Why?  Because fixes aren't quickly wrapped back into
    the distribution, nor is there a fast path to getting all the appropriate fixes
    installed.

    Download and install the latest release of IE (5.01).  Are you safe?  No.  You
    first need several crucial scripting patches.  After all, JavaScript defaults
    to "on" and IE defaults to scripting bugs.

    But, which patches?  Click on "Tools->Windows Update"?  That doesn't show the
    latest updates.  Somehow know to go to the IE security page at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/security/default.asp?  Except, that doesn't
    make it clear _which_ patches you need.  You have to individually go to each
    link; some will tell you if they apply, others will just let you download the
    patch.

    Given the ongoing nature of scripting problems, Microsoft should consider
    issuing a single, all inclusive, security patch.  Each time a new fix comes
    available, update it.

    John