Re: How the password could be recover using FTP Explorer's

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olssonat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 14:16:22 PST

    And here, folks, is the good old red herring problem once over again.

    I'm not saying that Nelson is wrong. It is a problem. But.. Well.
    For those of you saying "why aren't they using better crypto, since
    it IS available?", read on...

    Nelson wrote:

    > The scene:
    > user -> nelson
    > pass -> ABC
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > and I found two values:
    > Login = nelson
    > Type  = 4A4E52
    >
    > [snip: How to "descramble" the password]

    Passwords _cannot_ securely be stored locally without encrypting them
    with another password that the user must enter.

    Even if a "good" crypto algorithm is used, the key to unlock the
    "password repository" must be stored somewhere.
    Hopefully this is in the user's brain, but since most users cry foul
    when they have to remember passwords, this usuall gets stored on the
    same insecure hard drive that the "encrypted" secrets are stored,
    all in the name of user friendliness.

    When the key for decrypting the password repository gets stored,
    all you need to do is go find the key and then you can go read all
    the passwords.

    Let me reiterate: IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO STORE COMPLETE SECRETS ON
    THE LOCAL COMPUTER IF THE LOCAL COMPUTER CANNOT BE TRUSTED.

    Solution: Don't write apps that store passwords on the local computer
              without using another password to encrypt them.

    Workaround: Disable all "remember this password for me" checkboxes
                that keep cropping up in all sorts of apps

    /Mike

    --
    Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, S-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
    Phone: +46-(0)660-105 50           Fax: +46-(0)660-122 50