Re: Disk (over)quota in Windows 2000

From: Mikael Olsson (mikael.olssonat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 00:11:00 PST

    Peter Gutmann wrote:

    > Dave Tarbatt - ACS <D.A.Tarbattat_private> writes:
    >
    > >I've been looking into disk quotas under Windows 2000 and have uncovered a
    > >few anomalies. On top of a few peculiarities there appears to be a bug which
    > >allows a user to exceed their disk quota by as much as they wish.
    >
    > Isn't this just a cluster-size filling issue?  It looks like accounting is
    > being done on a bytes-used basis but files are managed on a per-cluster basis,
    > so it's possible to extend files out to fill the cluster without coming into
    > conflict with the quota system.

    Not "just" a cluster-size filling issue. The idea of quotas is preventing
    people from using all available hard disk space, as that is a VERY effective
    DoS. This bug means that W2K basically does not have any quotas, since it does
    not provide that protection.

    --
    Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, S-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
    Phone: +46 (0)660 105 50           Fax: +46 (0)660 122 50