Re: [XFree86 3.3.6] fix for race conditions in xterm logfile

From: Olaf Kirch (okirat_private)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 01:35:05 PST

    On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 06:39:51PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
    > Here's a possible fix.  Olaf had a different one, but it is applicable only
    > to Linux distributions that use Red Hat's utempter apparatus, which I
    > understand is a kind of clone of utmpd.

    Just to clarify this a little; the patch I did was not for this specifiy
    problem; it's purpose is to do away with the setuid root requirement for
    xterm altogether. The only two reasons for requiring a setuid root bit on
    xterm are ptys (taken care of by /dev/pts nowadays), and utmp management
    (which we're currently doing using utempter). The same holds for kterm
    and kconsole, as well as the gnome counterparts I assume.

    Olaf
    --
    Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
    okirat_private  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax