Re: Corel Linux 1.0 dosemu default configuration: Local root vuln

From: Nate Eldredge (neldredgeat_private)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 14:13:45 PST

    I note that this has been added to the Vulnerabilities Database on
    www.securityfocus.org (#1030) with the following solution:

    > The system.com program should be removed from the dosemu heirarchy.

    I don't think this is adequate.  system.com is a fairly short file
    (300 bytes), and if a user has any way to create files inside the
    dosemu hierarchy (as they probably do, because otherwise dosemu is of
    limited value), they can easily re-create it.

    Correct fixes are listed at
    http://www.dosemu.org/docs/README/0.98/README-3.html , the URL
    referenced before.  Such as setting secure mode in the configuration
    files.

    (Note that I haven't tested this as I can't reproduce the
    vulnerability with my current dosemu configuration.)

    --

    Nate Eldredge
    neldredgeat_private