Re: NAI/McAfee Viruscan Engine does not scan .VBS files by default

From: Roy Voortman (rvooat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 07:53:42 PST

    Bram Kerkhof wrote:

    > SYNOPSIS
    > The default NAI/McAfee Viruscan Engine configuration does not include
    > .VBS in the list of program file extensions, thereby skipping .VBS
    > files when scanning. The VBS/Freelink virus and possible other viruses
    > could go undetected.
    >
    > SOFTWARE VERSIONS
    > - - McAfee Viruscan NT Engine 4.0.3a
    > - - McAfee Viruscan 9x Engine 4.0.3
    > - - McAfee Netshield Engine 4.0.3
    > - - McAfee Groupshield for Notes Engine 4.50
    > remark: These are only the software versions we currently use in
    > production. Others may be affected too.

    <snip>

    > WORKAROUND
    > Two possible solutions:
    > - - Add the .VBS extension to the list of program file extensions in the
    > on-access monitor, and the viruscan program... Keep in mind that
    > different viruscan programs have their own lists!
    > - - Select "Scan All Files"

    Another workaround may be to install the "super-dat" file. This updates
    the scan engine to 4.0.50 and includes the VBS-files in the program file
    extensions. At least my Winnt 4.0 pc with the latest super-dat file
    installed showed VBS in the program file extensions.

    Roy Voortman

    Learn as if you will live forever
    Live as if you will die tomorrow