Re: lynx - someone is deaf and blind ;)

From: Steve VanDevender (stevevat_private)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 10:13:35 PST

    Mariusz Woloszyn writes:
     > It's true that lynx segfaults on long URLs, but exploiting it is (IMHO)
     > impossible because lynx strips all nonprintable characters thus smugling
     > RET address is impossible. I have never heard about ASCII only shellcode
     > also :)

     > I assume lynx bugs are unexploitable...

    Don't bet on it.  For the x86, at least, it's not that hard to use only
    the opcodes that are printable ASCII characters to write pretty much any
    program you'd want; using self-modifying code you can generate the
    opcodes that aren't in the printable ASCII set.  I've seen examples,
    such as a printable-ASCII-only .COM file for bootstrapping a DOS Kermit
    distribution.