The Comet Cursor

From: Sarah MacArthur (SarahMat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 20:37:36 PST

    I'm the person who handles privacy related issues at Comet Systems and I'd
    like to add two cents to this discussion.

    I appreciate Mr. Harrington's quick follow-up acknowledging that the Comet
    Cursor bundled with RealPlayer7 is "an innocuous version".

    People who use our cursor-customization software do so voluntarily and
    anonymously.  Since we don't need to email our users we never ask for names
    or email addresses when they get the Comet Cursor. Also, Comet never gets
    information from Real about who downloads the software and, as noted, when
    you download the Comet Cursor with the RealPlayer 7 there is no GUID.

    We're investigating the leftovers that were described in Mr. Harrington's
    posting and will fix any bugs with our add/remove.  We will post any
    information regarding this issue as soon as we can.

    Regards,

    -Sarah MacArthur