Linux patch for blocking buffer overflow based attacks

From: massimoat_private
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 07:10:09 PST

    --------
    From

    http://www.iac.rm.cnr.it/newweb/tecno/software/indexsoftware.htm

    is available a patch to the Linux kernel that  we developed for blocking (most)
    buffer overflow based attacks.
    Basically we instrument some "critical" systems calls (execve, chmod,...) to
    check a database of information provided by the system administrator by means
    of a modified chmod command (also included in the software).
    A README file explains the installation procedure whereas a paper
    (BufOverA.ps.gz), that is submitted to the 9 Usenix Security Symposium,
    describes the details of our approach.
    We like to stress that this is NOT an alternative to solutions like StackGuard
    or ITS4 rather it should be considered an additional protection mechanism.
    The code has been tested for several months in our organizations
    (Rome University "La Sapienza" and Institute for Computing Applications) and
    should be compatible with any kernel >= 2.2.12-20.
    For any question, comment, suggestion, send a note to: emgabat_private

    Have a nice day,
    Massimo

    --- Massimo Bernaschi: Istituto Applicazioni del Calcolo ----
    |  IAC-CNR                  | e-mail: massimoat_private |
    |  V.le del Policlinico 137 | phone: +39 06 88470229        |
    |  00161 Roma - ITALY       | fax:   +39 06 4404306         |