RealPlayer and Comet Cursor

From: Keela Robison (keelaat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 19:10:04 PST

    Mr. Harrington,

    I wanted to respond directly to your concerns regarding RealPlayer and
    privacy.  First to set the record straight, the version of Comet Cursor
    distributed with RealPlayer does NOT transmit GUIDs.  RealNetworks is
    committed to protecting privacy, and we specifically worked with Comet
    Systems to ensure that their software met our standards for informed
    consent.  We decided along with Comet Systems to remove any GUID from the
    version distributed by RealNetworks.  As a result, the Cursor software
    distributed with RealPlayer 7 could not be used in any way to track any
    individuals' behavior.  In addition, it is very important to understand
    that selecting the RealPlayer version with Comet Cursor is entirely
    optional during the download process and that Comet Cursor's existence as
    part of some RealPlayer bundles is clearly disclosed when you download,
    along with links to Comet's privacy statement.

    The privacy policy that you quote in your post is not accurate for the
    RealPlayer version; please refer to the privacy policy that Comet Cursor
    has posted relating to the version bundled with RealPlayer, and to which we
    link from our Web site: http://www.cometsystems.com/help/real_privacy.shtml.

    I hope that this addresses your questions.  RealNetworks is very concerned
    that our privacy practices are accurately described; if you have any
    further questions about our privacy policies or practices, please email us
    at privacyat_private

    Regards,
    Keela Robison
    Product Manager, RealNetworks Consumer Products

     /\