Apache Win32 8192 chars string bug

From: Auriemma Luigi (kaino3at_private)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 04:56:49 PDT

    Credits: Auriemma Luigi <kaino3at_private>

    I have found a little bug in some versions of Apache WebServer for
    Win32.
    I have tested 1.3.14 and 1.3.15 (default installation) on Win98SE and
    Win2ksp1, and are
    vulnerable; today I have tested an Apache 1.3.9 with ApacheJServ/1.0 and
    it doesn't work (Access Forbidden), probably he want a string more or less
    long.
    The bug consist in sending a string of 8192 chars: (http command) <space>
    string 0d 0a.
    The string is 8190 byte long, the last 2 byte are the return code (0d 0a)
    If anyone send this string, Apache give an error at the administrator, and
    leave the connection alive in idle until the administrator close the crash
    window that appear. And if we add 100 other 8192 chars string (for
    example Accept: (8182 of "A")), the range of memory occupied by the string
    is more. In Windows 98 if someone send 2 or more strings from different
    connection, we have only a crash, but all the connections in idle; instead
    in Win NT/2000 we have all the crashes and all the connections in idle. I
    think that someone can use this bug in 2 or more methods:

    1) Insert a shellcode in the string
    2) Open a lot of connection with the 8192 chars string for saturate all
    resources

    Some examples:

    1) GET (8184 of "/") /

    2) HEAD /(8182 of "A") /