Re: SUN SOLARIS 5.6/5.7 FTP Globbing Exploit !

From: ghandi (ghandiat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 09:33:29 PDT

    This fact that in.ftpd crashes with SIGSEGV does not necessarily indicate
    that it is a remotely exploitable vulnerability.  In this case, it is just
    a simple null-pointer dereference.  But, as Sun's binary code licence
    forbids disassembly, I can only strongly believe or suspect that is a
    register-indirect load where that register's value is 0x0 :).  I suspect
    that it is caused by glob() looking for the home directory of a NULL
    username.  So, this is not a remotely exploitable vulnerability, it can
    simply be used to crash the remote in.ftpd.

    However, this can present other problems, so you should ensure that core
    dumps are disabled for inetd (add "ulimit -c 0" before starting inetd in
    /etc/init.d/inetsvc) or at least that they are not world readable (add a
    umask line); they are world readable by default under 2.6.

    --
    	   ghandi / ghandiat_private / www.dopesquad.net
           "Bein' Crazy is the least of my worries." - Jack Kerouac