Re: PIX Firewall 5.1 DoS Vulnerability

From: Carson Gaspar (carsonat_private)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2001 - 12:47:40 PDT

    --On Friday, April 13, 2001 2:00 PM -0400 Adam Rothschild <asrat_private>
    wrote:

    > On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 04:22:33PM -0700, Scott Raymond wrote:
    >> By the way, I recently upgraded a PIX 515 at work.  The folks at
    >> Cisco inform me that the latest software binary image, 5.3.1, is
    >> broken.  They suggest upgrading to 5.2.5, which has all of the
    >> updates in 5.3.1, including the elimination of the DoS
    >> vulnerability.
    >
    > Interesting; definitely the first I've heard of this.  Do you have any
    > details of this reported brokenness, or perhaps a Cisco bug ID to
    > reference?

    5.3.1 does not log port numbers of denied UDP packets. There are also
    issues with SSH and HA. Someday Cisco might actually release 5.3.(n>1),
    since the fix for the logging problem has already been committed to 5.3.1+,
    according to their bug database, but I'm not holding my breath.

    --
    Carson