Linux patches to solve /tmp race problem

From: Donaldson, Matthew (matthewat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 05:58:07 PDT

    Hi all,

    I have recently developed some patches to the Linux 2.2 kernels which solve
    the /tmp race problem without needing to define environment variables -
    useful particularly for naive applications and scripts which dont use
    TMPDIR and friends.

    The patch creates "dynamic" symlinks, which point to different paths
    depending on the user accessing them (for example, including the UID in the
    path name).  Such a link can be placed instead of /tmp and/or /var/tmp, and
    any other similar directories.  More usefully, these links can be configured
    to automatically create the directory they refer to if it does not exist.

    This means you can create a directory such as /tmp_files, for example, and
    have the /tmp link automatically create user directories in it on demand.
    Default permissions and ownership can be specified.

    The patches are available from http://www.datadeliverance.com in the Linux
    Patches section, along with a full discussion of the issues involved.  Your
    comments on the scheme are invited.

    Cheers

    		-Matthew

    | Matthew Donaldson             http://www.datadeliverance.com             |
    | Data Deliverance Pty. Ltd.    Email: matthewat_private         |
    | 30 Musgrave Ave.              Phone: +61 8 8265 7976            _        |
    | Banksia Park                  Fax:   +61 8 8265 0032     John  / \/      |
    | South Australia 5091                                     3:16  \_/\      |