Re: Oracle8 denial of service (fwd)

From: James W. Abendschan (jwaat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 13:04:25 PDT

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Stephen Oberther wrote:

    > > Oracle 8 servers running Windows NT 4.0 (SP6) and does not require any
    > > authentication credentials to succeed. I have not tried it on any other versions
    > > or platforms.
    >
    > This works on Oracle 8 running on Solaris 8 as well.  No credentials
    > needed to do the name lookup either it just eats up a processor.  Good
    > thing it isn't threaded.

    There were some remote DoS and general security bugs in the Oracle tnslsnr
    in (at least) 8.1.6.  This was reported to Oracle back in October 2000;
    8.1.7 fixes the DoS and most of the security problems (TNS 'query leaking'
    is still possible in 8.1.7 -- by sending tnslsnr a packet with a bogus length,
    it's possible to see the contents of previous TNS packets.  While this
    won't reveal past SQL sessions, it does show usernames and other oddities.)

    http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/security/alerts.htm
    http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2000-0818
    http://xforce.iss.net/alerts/advise66.php
    http://www.jammed.com/~jwa/hacks/security/tnscmd/ - my kludgy 'tnsping'