Re: Double clicking on innocent looking files may be da ngerous

From: Nick FitzGerald (nick@virus-l.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 01:26:55 PDT

    Michael Wojcik <Michael.Wojcikat_private> wrote:

    Sorry for the delay in responding...

    > I suspect we're approaching the point where it makes no sense to have an
    > executable extension list anyway, and desktop antivirus products will just
    > scan all files.

    What do you mean "approaching"??

    If you did not realize that about 5 years ago (probably nearer six
    now) you were behind the game...

    Since about 4 years ago it has been close to crucial.

    The AV companies started to realize it (as in "publicly acknowleged
    it" by recommending "scan all files" or even making that the default
    or at least by starting to talk about implementing "smart file
    typing" in their products) about 3-3.5 years ago.

    Regards,

    Nick FitzGerald