Re: Redhat 7 insecure umask

From: Rebecca Kastl (rkastlat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 10:37:28 PDT

    On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Rebecca Kastl wrote:

    > From the su man page:
    >
    >              -, -l, --login
    >               make the shell a login shell
    >
    > If the shell is not a login shell, then /etc/profile nor any .*shrc
    > scripts are processed

    Correction:  In the case of bash, if the '-' or '-l' option to 'su' is not
    specified, then /etc/profile and ~/.bash_profile are not executed.  The
    same holds true for ksh and sh in regards to /etc/profile and ~/.profile,
    and /etc/profile and ~/.login for csh.

    In the case of bash, /etc/bashrc and ~/.bashrc, and in the case of csh,
    ~/.cshrc will be processed, regardless.

    In reference to the specific "problem" of su, the same holds true even if
    one simply calls a shell without specifying that it be a login shell.  So
    the problem isn't even specifically related to su -- it comes down to
    simply setting the 'umask' value appropriately and having an understanding
    of how such values are handled depending on your platform.

    To paraphrase something a friend once told me, "being a [UNIX
    administrator] is not an entry level skill, but it can easily be an exit
    level skill."  Stay awake, stay employed.

    --Rebecca Kastl