Re: Linux patches to solve /tmp race problem

From: Tollef Fog Heen (tollefat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 01:15:01 PDT

    * "Donaldson, Matthew"

    | If it were just replacing login, I would agree with you.  But not everything
    | coming into a Unix system comes via login.  There are a number of daemons,
    | X-window systems and so forth that do their own thing.  On top of the
    | existing ones, someone might decide to compile some ssh version or some other
    | daemon, and put that up.  Anything that creates a process on a Unix system
    | and runs things is a potential entry point.  It need not be even be related
    | to loggin in.  Cron, for example, runs processes as different users, but
    | doesn't run login.

    PAM handles this quite nicely.

    I've hacked together a PAM module which sets TMPDIR (and TMP) to
    /tmp/user/uid, which I could probably make available (mail me if you
    are interested).  Fixing programs to use TMP and TMPDIR is the correct
    solution.

    --

    Tollef Fog Heen
    Unix _IS_ user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are.