Re: Cisco HSRP Weakness/DoS

From: Steven M. Bellovin (smbat_private)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 19:53:01 PDT

    In message <200105031757.TAA05508at_private>, bashis writes:
    >--%--multipart-mixed-boundary-1.5498.988912661--%
    >
    >Hi
    >
    >I was playing with Cisco's HSRP (Hot Standby Routing Protocol),
    >and there is a (major) weakness in that protocol that allow
    >any host in a LAN segment to make a HSRP DoS.
    >
    >Short (very) explain of HSRP.
    >HSRP uses UDP on port 1985 to multicast address 224.0.0.2,
    >and the authentication is in clear text. (default: cisco)
    >
    >I include a small program that sends out a fake HSRP packet,
    >when it hear a legal HSRP packet, as a "proof of concept" code...
    >
    >Vendor was notified about this 14 April 2001,,
    >and their response was to use HSRP with IPSec.
    >http://www.cisco.com/networkers/nw00/pres/2402.pdf

    Their response was precisely correct.  Given the evils that can be done
    with ARP-spoofing, this sort of misbehavior by someone already on the
    LAN can't easily be prevented.

    More generally, have a look at RFC 2338, on VRRP -- the Virtual Router
    Redundancy Protocol.  VRRP is the standards-track replacement for HSRP.
    The Security Considerations section explains when to use each type of
    authentication, up to and including IPsec.

    Cisco's real mistake is in having a common default authentication word
    -- not because it's a security failure, but because it can no longer
    fulfill its function of guarding against configuration errors.