Re: RH7.0: man local gid 15 (man) exploit

From: Stephen Shirley (diamondat_private)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 10:06:12 PDT

    Hi,
    	The info posted to get man to seg fault is slightly incorrect. You
    need to supply some text as the name of a man page - otherwise man will
    reject all input. The number of :'s is irrelevat too - one is enough.

    man -S : blah
    will cause a seg fault. This has been confirmed on debian 2.2 woody, and I
    submitted a patch to fix it. The new version is in unstable - ver
    2.3.18-2. From the changelog of 2.3.18-2:

      * man would segfault if the argument to -S contained only colons, and
        incidentally treated an empty argument to -S wrongly. Both cases now
        use the standard list of sections instead (thanks, Colin Phipps and
        Stephen Shirley; closes: #97553, #97566).

    Steve
    --
    "My mom had Windows at work and it hurt her eyes real bad"