RE: About the new IIS %252c bug.

From: Matt Rudge (mrudgeat_private)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 09:39:38 PDT

    I have tested this on patched and unpatched IIS 4 & 5 servers and have found
    some strange results also.  Several recently patched IIS5 servers that I
    tested are not vulnerable to the Unicode bug (as would be expected), but are
    vulnerable to this one.  Similarly with patched IIS4 servers I have tried.
    However, I have tried one patched IIS4 server that proved not to be
    vulnerable - the difference... none.  Apart from the fact that the
    invulnerable server was the only one I actually, physically, patched myself.
    But I can't remember what I did that would make a difference.

    This is why, for all installations, I now put all executable directories on
    a separate drive and rename the command interpreter.

    Cheers

    Matt