Re: Mail delivery privileges (was: Solaris /usr/bin/mailx exploit)

From: Steven M. Bellovin (smbat_private)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 18:04:33 PDT

    In message <20010518203508.DCF0EC3at_private>, Greg A. Woods writes:

    >Personally I'm loathe to allow ordinary users to specify delivery to
    >programs in the first place, and forcing them at minimum to arrange for
    >their mail filters to run unprivileged seems like a very small price to
    >pay.  I seem to recall this was the solution taken by the AT&T UPAS
    >mailer delivered as the default mailer on native UNIX System V Release 4.
    >That's certainly the way it works on Plan 9:
    >
    >   Filtering
    >       If  the file /mail/box/username/pipeto exists and is read-
    >       able and executable by everyone, it will be run  for  each
    >       incoming  message for the user.  The message will be piped
    >       to it rather than appended to his/her mail box.  The  file
    >       is run as user `none'.

    That's more an artifact of Plan 9 than of upas -- upas on Unix did
    support 'Pipe to'.  But Plan 9 has no notion of setuid nor (as I
    recall) of superuser, so it can't do that.  And while there are
    certainly security issues with delivery to programs (that's why
    sendmail had to implement smrsh), not having write ability to per-user
    files causes problems for programs like 'vacation'.