Re: Mail delivery privileges (was: Solaris /usr/bin/mailx exploit)

From: Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group (Cy.Schubertat_private)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 12:03:26 PDT

    In message <20010518203508.DCF0EC3at_private>, Greg A. Woods
    writes:
    > [ On Friday, May 18, 2001 at 11:18:51 (-0400), Wietse Venema wrote: ]
    > > 3 - User-specified shell commands. Traditionally, a user can specify
    > > any shell command in ~user/.forward, and that command will execute
    > > with the privileges of that user. This requires SUPER-USER privileges
    > > in the mail delivery software itself or in mail helper software.
    >
    > Oh, OK, you've got me on that one!  ;-)
    >
    > I was trying very carefully to avoid that particular pit of snakes, but
    > I suppose I should have known it was inevitable that someone would find
    > me out eventually!

    A small helper program to handle shell command .forward files would be
    a lot more secure than an MTA performing the deed.  It's not a perfect
    solution but is a lot better than what we've got now for the simple
    reason that a smaller program is easier to audit and thus generally
    more secure than a larger more complex program.

    Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
    Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
    Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubertat_private
    Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
    Province of BC