Re: Unsafe assumptions (Re: Mail delivery...)

From: Marcus Meissner (Marcus.Meissnerat_private)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 13:14:51 PDT

    On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 02:07:47PM +0200, Olaf Titz wrote:
    > > local delivery agent(s).  After all that's all you've got with "*.lock"
    > > files, since they too are only advisory locks.  Putting them into the
    > > kernel simply makes it possible to eliminate the risk of a mode 01777
    > > spool directory.  (The risk is already quite low of course if you
    > > pre-create all mailbox spool files, and especially if you write careful
    > > lock validation code in the local delivery agent.  Kernel locks simply
    > > make the code for safe local delivery less complex.)
    >
    > Not quite. Any scheme which relies on pre-existing mailboxes would
    > also have to make sure that the owner of the mailbox cannot remove it.
    > This means not only standard MUAs but also "rm", "mv"[1], accidental
    > mistakes or user-installed MUAs. As I see it this is pretty much
    > impossible to guarantee.
    >
    > So reliance on pre-existing mailboxes is inherently unsafe because it
    > relies on assumptions which can not be guaranteed, regardless of
    > useradd programs etc.

    The solution to that is very simple:

    - Create /var/mail/ with mode 775, root.mail owned.
    - Write a small helper program, which is setgid mail, which just touches
      a file with the calling users username in /var/mail/.

    In fact, we use the appended helper (setgid mail) in Caldera OpenLinux now.

    Ciao, Marcus
    --
         /  __/____/  /                Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH