Re: Mail delivery privileges

From: David Wagner (dawat_private)
Date: Sat May 19 2001 - 17:37:11 PDT

    Peter W  wrote:
    >To protect users from each others' ~/.forward instructions, it is necessary,
    >as Wietse said, for the delivery agent to start with superuser privileges.

    I'm not convinced.  Imagine: ~/.forward-program could be a
    setuid executable, owned by the user, and a non-root delivery
    agent could exec() the relevant ~/.forward-program.  Why can't
    this approach be made to work?  What am I missing?

    (You might be concerned that malicious users on the same
    system could inject forged mail by themselves exec()ing the
    ~/.forward-program.  But this threat can be countered in several
    ways.  For instance, we could use file permissions: make
    ~/.forward-program mode 750, with group 'mail', and have the
    delivery program run under user 'nobody', group 'mail'.  Or,
    we could use crypto: Create a public/private keypair for the
    delivery agent, put the public key in /etc/agent.pub, have the
    delivery agent sign the input it sends to ~/.forward-program,
    and have ~/.forward-program check the signature on its input
    against /etc/agent.pub.)