Re: Vulnerability in Oracle E-Business Suite Release 11i Applications Desktop Integrator

From: David Howe (DaveHoweat_private)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 09:42:25 PDT

    "Pavel Machek" <pavelat_private> said:
    > Is it just me or does this sound like "security by obscurity"? What if I
    > sit down and write evil PAVEL11I.DLL that *looks* like production one
    > but dumps passwords as debug one?
    Then you will have the passwords. however, if you can do this anyhow, you
    can compromise *any* program you can sufficiently understand the interface
    to (look for a dll that gets password information as an argument and rewrite
    it to dump it elsewhere; I suspect there are a lot of these about)
    there have also been a *lot* of programs where the patched version is only a
    single file (dll or exe). in almost all cases, overwriting the updated file
    with the old one will reenable the vunerability; this is to be expected with
    the way windows handles DLLs, and there isn't much you can do about it. it
    doesn't mean the patch is worthless though, as you shouldn't be allowing
    random replacements of DLLs anyhow (particuarly ones to security-sensitive
    programs).